Pregnancy massage has incredible physical benefits. A good massage can help a wide variety of ailments from headaches to swollen ankles – very handy when you can’t take any pain relief during pregnancy!
Your body is changing rapidly and with the changes in your posture you may experience nerve pain or sciatica. Perhaps your muscles and joints are starting to ache. Pregnancy massage soothes lower back pain and eases other back aches brought on by your changing posture, helping with flexibility. Massage tones muscles and can reduce that tight uncomfortable feeling caused by swelling (oedema).
What are the benefits of a Pregnancy Massage?
- Deeply relaxing and rejuvenating
- Regulates stress hormones
- Improves sciatic nerve pain
- Improves quality of sleep
- Reduce tension in neck, shoulders and lower back
- Stimulates the lymphatic system to help ease fluid retention, particularly in the lower legs, feet and ankles
- Relief of general aches and pains which are often caused by ligaments around the body stretching as the pregnancy progresses
- Nourishment to skin to help minimise stretch marks and improve any pigmentation/ uneven skin tone
What to expect in your pregnancy massage
With your permission I may call your midwife prior to your appointment to ensure you are fit for the massage. There are occasionally circumstances in which the midwife/ consultant and ourselves may advise against a massage. These may include, diabetes, liver/ kidney problems, unstable high blood pressure or risk of premature labour.
You will be covered in towels and sheets and supported by pillows to ensure you and your bump are comfortable. You will be positioned on your side(s) and/or reclined sitting throughout stages of the massage. I use a wax specially formulated for and safe in pregnancy and great for nourishing the skin.
Side effects of Pregnancy Massage
As with all massages you may experience a reaction when your body begins the process of healing itself and eliminating toxins. These reactions are a positive sign that the body has responded well to the treatment and is beginning to heal itself. These side effects should subside in 12-24 hours. The following reactions may occur after treatment:
- Tiredness due to the release of toxins
- Even more visits to the toilet to get rid of waste and toxins
- Headaches or nausea
- Spots may occur due to released toxins
- Flare up of previously suppressed conditions
- Perspiration/Runny nose – the body excreting waste
- Drink plenty of water or herbal teas
- Avoid excess tea, coffee for the next 12 hours
- Avoid heavy meals for the next few hours
- Avoid driving immediately after treatment if you feel excessively drowsy. If you do let me know before you leave the studio
- Make time to relax